Monday, October 22, 2007

October 20th and 21st - The Baby Brigade and some winter camping

October 20th and 21st - The Baby Brigade and Winter Car Camping

A very mixed weekend in terms of experiences.

The weekend started off with a short hike of 2-3 miles on Anemone Hill. It was another morning spent hanging with what I call the Baby Brigade.

A few of my friends now have children. But having children does not preclude them participating in outdoor activities. The activities may be shorter and less "burly", but my friends are instilling their love and appreciation of the outdoors into their children as well.

I often tag along on these hikes. It gives me a chance to catch up with my friends while doing something we all love. It also gives me a chance to play surrogate uncle to Avery. He knows me as "Uncle Mags".


It was nice and late autumn day. The views towards the snow covered divide showed how winter is rapidly approachinng the foot hills. Best of all, it was delightful to see Gretchen and Avery laughing and enjoying their first hikes.


The outdoors is enjoyable...but to experience the joys of the outdoors through the eyes of children is also an experience.

Afterwards we had a late lunch of an overstuffed burrito at Illegal Pete's. Mmm..good

Later that day, I drove by to pick up my friend Amanda for some car camping in Rocky Mountain National Park.

Now, backpacking is my first love in the outdoors. Life brought down to its essentials. All I need is carried on my back.

But sometimes car camping has its own appeal. Roughing it smoothly, if you will. A chance to make some good food, sit by the campfire and have some hot chocolate with a dollop of something extra. All spent in a beautiful setting.

A view towards Twin Sisters from our campsite

Amanda wanted to try some cold weather camping to test out the gear without having to schlep it on her back. The predicted snow worried her a little bit..but I encouraged to come with these magic words: MINUS 20F SLEEPING BAG! Toasty goodness in one synthetic fill and nylon shell package.

We arrived at the park, made camp and started dinner. Beef stew sauteed in wine, some fresh bread and apple cobbler for dessert. We ate well! Warmed up by the campfire. Just as we were ready for bed, the snow started coming down.


The sound of the snow gently hitting the tent put us to sleep.

We woke up at 7am or so. Decided it was too cold and went back to sleep. At 8am or so, we decided it was finally to roll out of bed. The falling snow convinced us to grab breakfast in town rather than cook breakfast at the campsite. Another advantage to car camping: You can change plans easily!

We still wanted to get a hike in, so we did the lower elevation Homestead Meadows Trail area. This area is the site of old homesteads and is of hisorical interest. The last leaves of the aspen trees, the snow and the streams made for nice hike. By the time we made it back to my truck, the snow had mainly melted.


The weekend was wonderful! I was able to spend it friends both old and new. I was able to enjoy all the good things in life: Time spent in a beautiful place, good food and time spent with people I care about.

Life is still good.

More photos

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home