Monday, October 15, 2007

October 13th-14th : The Gray Chill of Autumn

Mid-October is when the late Fall turns into early Winter.

The days become overcast at times, the snow starts to appear.

It is a time when my thoughts start to turn to backcountry skiing and it is approaching and "in between time". Too much snow for enjoyable hiking; not quite enough for skiing.

But there is still joy and beauty to have no matter what the weather is like.

On
Saturday, Oct 13th my friend Amanda invited me to come along for a hike
with her friends from New York. Bea and Chris were about to do the Denver Marathon and wanted a short hike to see a bit of the Colorado high country. Chris has done over 100 marathons it seems!

The chosen destination was Diamond Lake. Diamond Lake is one of those hikes that has good views, is not too long and is nestled up against the divide. It is an excellent hike for someone who has a little time to hike and does not want to spend a whole day doing it.

Diamond Lake is where my friends hiked with me before I took off for the divide again last year. This year, while overcast later in the day, did not have the cold and brutal weather of the previous year.

Instead, it was sunny day to start with some gray clouds moving in later in the day.

The hike was pleasant. Good conversation, nice views and a bit of longing to be on the divide again for me.


Diamond Lake

Afterwards, the four of us had a late lunch at the Kathmandu Restaurant in Ned. As we looked at the cold weather moving in, the hot cups of chai were especially welcome!

On
Sunday Oct 14th, I awoke to the sound of rain on my roof. It was cold and the foothills were covered in clouds.

A reasonable person would have canceled the planned hike and gone to a coffee shop for a day. But I am not a reasonable person...I'm a thru-hiker! :)

A few intrepid souls met up at the designated meeting place. We all figured what is the point of having rain gear if you don't use it? Rather than the planned hike, we again went to a PLAN B.

My usual backup for rainy and cold hikes: Flagstaff Mountain.

A mainly wooded hike with good views into Gregory Canyon. The clouds, the fog and the snow towards the slightly higher elevations made for a magical-looking day.

It was not what I originally planned, but any day outside is enjoyed by me.


Looking into Gregory Canyon

The hiking in cold and wet weather worked up an appetite. One my favorite brunch places
suited the bill for a post-hike nosh. All in all, a nice way to end a Sunday adventure.

All the photos

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home