Friday, October 12, 2007

September Sauntering

One of these days, I'll update this journal a bit more frequently. For now, I'll just be lazy
and update the journal in one fell swoop. :-)

September 15th - Gorge Lakes and Mt Ida, Rocky Mountain National Park

A mainly off trail jaunt from Milner Pass to Mt. Ida and down to the Gorge Lakes.


The day encompassed gorgeous fall weather, distant views, ripe huckleberries, long breaks at alpine lakes and wide open meadows. Continuing my theme of"Damn..cameras are causing my issues this year", I forgot my flash card at home. Doh!

So here are some pics I stole off the internet that should give an idea of the views I saw, but did not take pictures of. :)

Near Mt. Ida

My friend Mark and I ate many red huckleberries. Mmmm

Looking over Gorge Lakes valley


Sept 23rd - Crater Lake, James Peak Wilderness

A classic hike that combines easy hiking with nice views. The day was grey and overcast with a splash of color from the turning leaves. It was probably one of the last hikes I will do with my friend Nahum in the high country for a while.

Nahum and Patricia are moving to Blacksburg, Virginia. Nahum will be taking a tenured-track position as a physics professor at Virginia Tech.

I am happy for my friends. It is an opportunity for Nahum on a professional level. It is a chance for my very talented friend Patricia to design her own home (she has her masters in structural engineering) and for both of them to raise a family in an area that is frankly more affordable than Boulder (Needless to say, Patricia and Nahum's children will be wicked smaht!)
.

I'll miss my friends. As of this writing, Nahum had just spent two weeks in Israel visiting family. And now Patricia and Nahum are both in Virginia on a "working vacation" planning their new life. They'll be back in Colorado soon and will be leaving permanently in January.


I'll miss them. Nahum and I in particular have spent much time over the years exploring the Rockies, sharing long talks about history, a shared interest in skepticism about "woo woo" type beliefs popular in Boulder, and we both have strong opinions and do not mind sharing them. :)

In the mean time, I'll just enjoy the remaining time spent together with my two friends. And remember some of the great places where we've been.

Moody looking lake. This photo I took! :D

Sept 26th, First Flatiron Full Moon Fondue

The First Flatiron is a classic climb in the Chautauqua area of Boulder. Not being a climber, I have no desire to ascend to the top of this iconic Boulder landmark. What can I say, I have a healthy fear and respect for the law of gravity!

But, there is a trail that winds its way up just below the top of the First Flat. A trail that ends with awesome views of the Indian Peaks. A trail that ends at a place large enough to set up a place to make fondue!

Yes dear readers. I combined a few different things I love one night. Full moon hiking, being in Boulder and eating!

The moon was rather full and clear. It was just about the perfect night for hiking! The moon was so bright that a headlamp was not needed.

The group I "organized" (much like you can organize and herd cats!) ended up at this spot on warm night. A few us of then made double boilers with camp stoves. We then proceeded to dip everything under the sun (fruit, cheese, stray hikers who wandered by) in chocolate. A warm night, a full moon, some Bailey's and cocoa. Even a little wine. A perfect and memorable night.
It was a first though; people actually said "NO MORE CHOCOLATE!" When you can feed people so much food that they have to refuse chocolate, you know you are doing your heritage as a Magnanti proud! ;)

Sept 29th, Lumpy Ridge Lollygagging

I was going to a high elevation, exposed and gorgeous off-trail hike in the Flattop Mtn area of Rocky Mountain National Park. But, when we all arrived at the Bear Lake trail head (elev. over 9000'), it was snowing! The thought of going above tree line in the snow and fog did not appeal to me. Remember, I am a wimp! I have no desire to do something just for the sake of saying I did it.

So we did a plan B. The Lumpies!

There is an 11 mile route that is perfect for this kind of day. Sheltered from the wind, lower elevations and the aspen were just about at peak.

We were not disappointed in our choice of an alternate route. The woodland walk among the rock formations was superb. The rustling leaves along the trail were a perfect sound to accompany this walk. And we ended the day by walking along a wide open meadow that was bracketed by aspens starting to turn gold.

All in all, a rather rewarding day!


Sept 30th, Into the Abyss


The high country is starting to show signs of closing up. The mountains are getting coated with a dusting of snow. The air is getting crisp but quickly turning to cold.

Every weekend is getting closer to winter. Fall is ending up higher. Time to enjoy some last high country hikes before skis are waxed, avy shovels are packed and a thermos of hot chocolate is a near-mandatory piece of gear.

The high country hike chosen for Sunday was Abyss Lake. A high alpine lake at about 12600', it is nestled between the shoulders of Mt. Bierstadt and Mt. Evans.

The hike did not disappoint. It was another classic fall day. Leaves carpeting the trail, views all the way south to the Spanish Peaks(!) and that embracing air that makes fall such an awesome season to hike.


There may be a few things in life more satisfying than sitting by the shores of an alpine lake on an Autumn day. But there are few things indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home