Wednesday, June 13, 2007

May 5th - Family Foothills Fun

As mentioned in previous entries, I am now at the age where many of my friends are starting to get married, have children and start families.

Because they are my friends, the outdoors is very much part of their lives. Having families does not mean they stop hiking, snowshoeing and other activities on the trails. Rather, it means they just change and modify what they do. Less mileage perhaps, but the beauty never diminishes. To see the outdoors with someone experiencing it for the first time is perhaps the most magical way to experience nature.

A group of us did a fairly big hike in the foothills outside of Boulder. On this hike were the Korslunds and the Zapins. The Zapins are frequently in my photos and journal entries. Marni and Josh are making sure that Avery is experiencing the outdoors from a young age.

I also see Beth and Peter fairly often. Like myself, Beth and Peter hail from New England. Many times we talk, it about some of our favorite stomping grounds in the Whites. As with Marni and Josh, they are making sure that their child, Gretchen, is also experiencing the outdoors as important part of childhood.

The hike was on a misty day for 8 miles and perhaps 3000' elev gain. Between the mist, the gentle rain and the somewhat cool weather among the rocky trails, it did have a New England type feel.

I enjoy these hikes spent with friends. Though the jaunts are different from what we've done together in the past, they still happen. I feel honored that I get to spend time with my friends' children in the outdoors.

Peter, Gretchen and Beth with Marni, Josh and Avery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home