Tuesday, May 01, 2007

April 28th, 2007 - Round Top Mountain

In my quest for foothill hikes, I often end up doing many of the same places.

I love these places. Places that are always interesting and make me realize how much I love where I live.

But sometimes, you need to see something different.

My friend Nahum and I consulted the "shaman" of Front Range hiking; our good friend Dave Becher. Dave knows the Front Range trails better than anyone I met. You don't need a guidebook, you just consult Dave! He's been hiking in the area since he was on his parents' back and even worked at the YMCA of the Rockies (whose property abuts Rocky Mountain National Park).

Dave suggested to Nahum and I a place called Round Top mountain. Maybe an hour's drive away. Unique views north of the divide. And a place where Nahum and I have not been!

Perfect.

I picked up Nahum Saturday morning and met some other friends. We then drove up to Loveland and turned up the highway on the way to Estes Park. Soon we reached the trail head.

The climb was moderate with many views of the surrounding foothills. On this clear and sunny day, we could see the edge of the High Plains. As we climbed higher could see the Mummy Range and Longs Peak.


One of the "highlights" for Nahum and I both was the "Biblically Correct" sign that someone made. Someone took umbrage at the 60 million years and replaced it with "Six thousand". Gave both of us a chuckle!

A relaxing day with somewhere different to explore. Looking at the divide, I am ready to explore the high country again. Not much longer.

All the photos

1 Comments:

Blogger wheatgerm said...

This looks alot like where i live in the Crowsnest Pass

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home