Sunday, March 18, 2007

March 17th, 2007 - Erin Go Bragh! A St. Patties Day hike to Green Mountain

St. Patrick's Day is a day that for many people means Guinness, green clothing and cabbage.

For me, it was a chance to organize a hike. What better way to celebrate St. Patrick's day then not by wearing green..but by hiking Green mountain? Besides, I am ready to hike again. To climb up steeply, soak up the great views and sunshine and to again remind myself of how much I love my home.

Green Mountain is one of the peaks in the Boulder Open Space system. Rather than do the the easier route that starts from Flagstaff Mountain, we decided to start from another trail head
to make ~10 mile loop. Unknown to us, a very recent trail closure made this loop about 11 miles.

It was an awesome day for a local hike. The temps were in the 60s. The snow, though still present in the foothills, is melting rapidly and is becoming less of an issue. The views of the Continental Divide were spectacular.

We celebrated the day by munching on a cake I packed. We all had some mocha with healthy dollops of Irish cream liquer. Made the hike back down very easy. :)


After this wonderful day, all of us went to the Southern Sun to have that very Irish meal of a burger and a beer.

I can't wait to see what the rest of the hiking season brings!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home