Thursday, April 05, 2007

April 1st, 2007 - White Ranch

During this time of the year, I stick to the foothills for hikes.

The high country still has much snow, and I am more in the mood to hike than to ski.

Fortunately, there is a wonderful trail system in Boulder itself. Makes for an easy time to spend a whole day hiking, or even a short jaunt after work.

But sometimes, I want to see something new. A place I do not know well. A place where I can see different views.

For something different, I chose White Ranch Park near Golden, CO. I was there once in 2003 for a 10k trail race. It was drizzly day then, so I really did not see the park that well. With expected sunshine, the park would be seen this time around.

I had a friend join me for the hike. She has not had much outdoor playtime this winter for a variety of reasons, so a 4.5 mile stroll with mellow grades was just the perfect hike.


The views and terrain were different from Boulder. Rather than a sharp uplift of where the High Plains meet the Rockies, there were rolling hills and wide open spaces. Hogbacks were seen. We were a little early for the majority of spring wildflowers, but we did see some wild geraniums.

The hike was perfect. It allowed my friend and I catchup after not seeing each other for a while. The terrain allowed for a casual sauntering pace. And picnic tables appeared just when we were hungry for lunch.

I'll be back to White Ranch Park again. Be it by a trail run or a hike. A little gem that I should see more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home