Sunday, February 18, 2007

February 14th - Devil's Thumb Ranch

I usually shy away from fee ski areas. They remind me a bit too much of a mountain-based Disney World: crowded, noisy and expensive.

A Nordic center seems a bit different. More emphasis on the skiing and less on the "scene". Mellow cross-country and gliding along. I'd still prefer a back country experience to a maintained and groomed trail, but I had yet to try a Nordic skiing experience.

This past Valentine's Day, I had the chance to try a Nordic center. My friend Terry is a volunteer ski patroler at Devil's Thumb Ranch. With 100km of trails, there is much variety. Along with our friend "New Hampsha Dave", we went up there for a day of skiing. All with free guest passes!


Nordic skiing involves kicking and gliding along groomed trails. I have backcountry skis rather than "classic" cross country skis, so I did more kicking than gliding!

Still, it was a wonderful day out. Any time I can be outside and "play"..well, life can't be that bad!

With the aspens that looked like birch and the old farm buildings, both Dave and were reminded of New England in many parts. Throw in a day that was overcast and a bit damp, and the New England winter feel was complete!


Being a weekday, the trails had hardly anyone on them. Plus the trails had a remote feeling as they wound up the hills and into the woods.

My overall impression of skiing in a Nordic center? Enjoyable, but I still enjoy true back country more.

Something about skiing in a groomed area seems to be more along the lines of roller blading than a wilderness experience. Fun, enjoyable to be outside...but something felt off for me. Perhaps I need the "rough around the edges" nature than even skiing along a trail provides.

Will I go to a Nordic center again? Maybe. It is a wonderful way to introduce the joys of cross-country skiing to a beginner, esp. if they do not have much winter experience overall.

But my soul still belongs to the back country. The rawness and the wildness. A groomed track does not compare, not matter how uncrowded or remote it may feel.

>ALL THE PHOTOS

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home