Monday, December 03, 2007

Turkey Day Weekend Trails

On Thanksgiving weekend, I had originally planned to go to the Great Sand Dunes National Park.

Alas, single digit temps at night made all of my friends opt out. I was not in the mood to spend four days by myself on the cold, cold ground!

So I just spent time around town walking the foothills.

No matter how many times I walk the hills that surround Boulder, I never tire of them.

In Spring, the wildflowers bloom and coat the hillside with a riot of color from life renewing itself. Pinks, greens, blues and reds.

Summer the light lasts a long time, makes for wonderful after work twilight strolls and allows a person to see the sun set over the not-so-distant divide.

Fall is again colorful. The cottonwoods turn yellow, the ground color is a wonderful mix of russet and orange with bright red choke cherries dotting the hill side.

And in winter? The snow covers the iconic Flatirons and makes for a view that rightfully graces many photographs.

I spent three days of the weekend reminding myself why I moved out West and why I made Boulder my home.

The exception to this foothill exploring was a chilly full moon hike on Saturday to Deer Mountain. I joined Marie and her friend Donnica for this moonlight stroll.

Deer Mountain is a favorite hike of mine. At night, with a full moon and snow, it was simply awesome. The divide GLOWED with the light of the moon.

We enjoyed the view, the hike down and then drove to Oskar Blues for some post hike food and brews.

Not a bad way to spend a weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home