Monday, September 15, 2008

Sept 15th - The Divide Called and more Full Moon Fun!

Having Mondays off, I still like to go out and play.

I actually enjoy having a weekday off. The trails are less busy and the lack of traffic to the trail means I get there quicker!

I enjoy backpacking trips by myself, but do enjoy day hiking with friends.

Luckily, I have a few friends who are unfettered.

One of these friends is Andy. Having just completed the AT and not starting up a new job yet, he has some free time.

So, he joined me for a quick jaunt to Argentine Peak on the Continental Divide via the old Waldorf Mine area.

The weather continues to provide all the reasons why I love Fall hiking in Colorado: Great weather, no lightning danger, insects are gone, the trails are become less crowded. And the touch of snow on the trails really make the ridge lines and mountains stand in sharp relief!

We made our way up the "trail" (a jeep road) and attained the ridge. We were now on the Continental Divide and on the "official" CDT.

Nearby Gray's and Torrey's peak really stuck out and the ridge line lead to many other hikes I would love to do. Andy also pointed out the beautiful Peru Creek valley below; a well known and phenomenal ski tour that is perfect for beginners. (I am also looking to convert people to my new found religion of ski touring!)


On the divide with Grays and Torreys behind me

The day was simply great. A relatively chill hike to a high 13er on the Divide. The sun was warm, the views enticing, the conversation great.



We walked down the summit, followed the ridge and headed back to the car. After a quick late lunch/early dinner at the well known biker bar of Kermitts (known for their chili), we headed back to our homes.

Once I arrived in Boulder, part two of the day began: Chushu no meigetsu; or a Japanese Autumnal Moon hike.

The fall full moons are perhaps my favorite full moon. The air is cool, the moon is bright and large. Even in Colorado there is a slight smell of Autumn in the air.

The plan for this hike was to do
an American take on the Japanese Full moon viewing. The destination was the ever beautiful Lost Lake.

At perhaps 4 miles R/T (we parked a little away from the 4wd accessible TH) and less than 1000' elev gain, it is the perfect destination for both a full moon and a weekday hike.

The moonlit walk was stunning. Once we popped out at Lost Lake, the moon was so bright that looking at it actually impaired the night vision a bit!

At the lake, we enjoyed the night. Sake was drank, sushi was eaten, taro chips were consumed.



Another wonderful moonlit walk.

And another hike where many people discovered a new found love for strolls at night.

With each of these social moonlit hikes I do, I seem to make new converts. People who have developed a love for one of my favorite ways of hiking: By the light of the moon.

Argentine Peak photos


Chushu no meigetsu photos

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home