Friday, April 11, 2008

April 5th, 2008 - Hall Ranch Roundabout

(well, more of an out and back, really :) )

I am going to crib my trip posting:

*************************

Another early spring hike...and to a place I have not been before!

Hall Ranch is a well known local mountain biking area. Views of Longs Peak and Meeker. A variety of terrain for both beginners and more advanced riders and good place to get some riding. (So I've been told. Other than a microbrew from Ft. Collins, I have not done the fat tire thing in ten years. :D)

But did you know there are hiker only trails in this area?

On this hike we'll use the Nighthawk Trail, continue on the little used Button Rocks trail and end at the Sleepy Lion Trail junction. The junction has a nice overlook of the reservoir. Along the way we will see Meeker, Longs, views of the Continental Divide and sweeping meadows. And maybe see more of the early season wildflowers!

We'll have lunch, hike back to where we came and have some sports beverages at Oskar Blues post hike.

The hike is about 13.5 miles and 1700' elev gain.

More info:

http://snipurl.com/232lk
http://www.protrails.com/trail.php?trailID=14
http://www.protrails.com/trail.php?trailID=15

****************

As you can see from the lovely photo below, it was a great hike. I loved the rock formations. It is definitely a place I am going to add my shoulder season hiking options!


All the photos

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Mags, I wanted to point out that it's actually Hall Ranch you are referring to, not Walker Ranch which is a different area. :) See you on the trail! FYI: We're headed to Capitol Reef for some serious backcountry field work in a month. Best, Dave Schwartz from ProTrails

2:25 PM  
Blogger Paul Mags said...

I know. I meant to type in Hall Ranch..but I had a brain cramp. I did Walker Ranch the week before and keep on mixing the two up. Not much room up there in the ole noggin. :) I caught it this morning before seeing the comment.. I'm losing it in my old age. ;-) Have a good jaunt!

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home