Friday, April 11, 2008

The Madness of March

Not too much to write as March kind of passed in one busy blur.

I did some training with the Outdoor Stewardship Insitute for a weekend. The plan is to be a crew leader for some trail/restoration projects. As an avid outdoors person, I believe it is important to give back. Leading a volunteer trail crew is a step in that process.

It was informative at times. But overall, I think organizing and leading trips for CHAOS, organizing my own work shops/slide shows and generally being good with people has helped me with leadership roles. More so than more formal corporate-feeling lectures and role playing exercises found during this weekend. At heart, I'm still very much a product of my blue collar upbringing : Give me the results, enough of the theory. :) I was reminded too much of what I put up with during the week (albeit for something more interesting than mainframe tape libraries to say the least!).

I must admit I HATE workshops on communication practices and what I consider touchy-feely crap. I loved the practice sessions for building check dams, maintaining tread, etc. Then again, that is hands on as well. Overall, I am glad I went to the weekend..but I think I'll learn more by doing to be honest.

Hiking season is starting to come. Started with the usual jaunts in the foothills, did a full moon jaunt up Sanitas , explored White Ranch a bit and did the Eldo Lollipop.

Looking forward to more hikes, backpacks and even a bit of car camping in the coming months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home